I know a number of people, including myself, storing makeup in the fridge. The main purpose of it is to extend the life of products. When you keep your beauty products in the refrigerator, the temperature of the products is stable and they do not go through the repetition of hot/cold. (Especially during the summer, where they get heated in the afternoon and cooled down in the night.) When the products go through the heat/cold, may affect the formulation or change the consistency of the products. Sounds crazy, huh? I agree. Also, most of the beauty products, especially skincare products, are better at a lower temperature; the chemical reaction occurs faster at a higher temperature.
Although put makeup in the fridge will extend the life of it, placing every single product you own to the refrigerator isn’t an ideal move. There are products that NEED to be in the fridge, and should NOT be in the fridge for its benefit.
Products You Should NOT Keep in The Fridge:
- Oils – Put it in the low temperature will separate and possibly congeal, and change the chemical.
- Lipstick – Place lipstick in the fridge for a long time is not recommended, however, if your lipsticks are melted from an extreme heat, then place them in the fridge for a few minutes until they return to its regular shape. (The reason why it is not recommended to place in the fridge is that the condensation can make lipsticks lose moisture.)
- Eye Shadow– Any powdery products are better off staying on your vanity shelf or drawers. Powders, lipsticks, and blushers etc. Do not contain water so that they don’t grow mold. Keep them in the fridge will add humidity and you, kind of, know what is going to happen, right? Also, they are better to keep it away from sunlight that can oxidize and fade pigments.
- Perfume* – This one is tricky one, to be honest. Some say that put it in the fridge will destroy the chemical compound of the perfume and scent, but better off from the excess heat or sun exposure that might induce oxidation. So this one is up to your decision… (Although, I personally wouldn’t put it in the refrigerator.)
- Nail Polish – FLAMMABLE! If you don’t want to blow up your refrigerator, I suggest not to store them in the fridge. Period.
Products You SHOULD Keep in The Fridge:
- Natural Beauty Products– Anything without preservatives have to go in the fridge to extend the life of it. But make sure to check the expiration date.
- Facial Masks – The coolness will constrict capillaries and decrease redness. Masks that are for hydration, soothing and calming are best to go in the fridge.
- Eye Cream– Some people put spoons in the freezer and put them on the eyes to deal with the puffy eyes. Same goes with eye cream; the cold temperatures will constrict the blood vessels to reduce the flow of fluid into the eyelid and under eye bag (soft tissues.) Cold = good for inflammation/puffiness.
- Products with Metal Applicators – Some products are best used in cooler temperature to enhance the treatment. Ex. Vichy’s Aqualia Thermal Eye Roll-On ($29)
- Eyeliner– If you are using a pencil liner or pencil type of anything (for brow, lips)… Sometimes sharpening them is painful when it’s a bit soft. Then just pop them into the fridge for a little bit or even, in a freezer. You will have no problem sharpening them without breaking It.
- Melted Lip Balm– I’ve had several melted lip balm situations in the past. Put it in the fridge for an hour and it will return to its original form.
What do you think? Does it worth it to make a small room for your beauty products in the fridge? But, just remember! Once you refrigerate your beauty products, you must always keep them refrigerated or else, they will go bad quickly.