my secret is unlocked!
Our skin slightly changes every each seasons. My skin gets a bit dry during the winter ,but not so much, and then a bit oily during the summer. I don’t have an acne prone skin however if I get a lot of stress or sleepless nights, I do get some fuzzy things all around my chin and forehead. So for me, finding a perfect skincare routine is a life-long mission. – especially to find the ‘right’ skincare routine for all seasons…
Every month, i have to deal with ugly pimples from my monthly cycle. No matter what I do, it comes out and say hi to me. Every. single. month! So what I do is try to hydrate my skin as much as possible especially during the cycle to sooth all those fuzziness. I do use hydrating face mist, face mask, moisturizing cream etc. However, those things can be costly sometimes. That’s why i am writing this post right now. I’d love to share what i’ve found over the past few months. The best moisturizing duo! – water and Glycerin! Simple enough, right?
I bought a bottle of Glycerin a long times ago to make DIY lotion/cream. But, i’ve never made one. just got too lazy.. Anyway, one day I was wonder what Glycerin will do to my face alone ( I was pretty confidence of it’s safety as it says ‘soothing and moisturizing agent in creams and lotions’ on its description ). Still, it was in – kind of – medicine section of Walmart, I looked up if it’s safe to use it without making lotion or cream. So here’s some benefits of Glycerin for face.
[expand title=”1. Moisturizing”]Glycerin absorbs water from air, making it what is called hygroscopic. Because of this, it can bring water to your skin, making it a popular ingredient in skin and cosmetic products. In fact, glycerin is so absorptive that if you leave a pure bottle of it open, it would eventually absorb enough water to change its composition to only 80% glycerin with the other 20% being water.[/expand]
[expand title=”2. Smoothing”]As skin ages, it cannot retain moisture as well and this causes rough, dull skin that is prone to irritation and redness, but using glycerin regularly can prevent these problems associated with dryness. It also helps your face seem smoother by filling in the microscopic cracks in the dry skin.[/expand]
[expand title=”3. Healing”]A study in 2002 showed that a cream with 20% glycerin was able to successfully treat skin that was dry and eczematous without the irritation associated with traditional treatments.[/expand]
[expand title=”4. Protecting”]Because of its dual ability to hydrate the skin and fill in gaps in dryer skin, glycerin is able to protect your face by keeping the outer layer of the skin intact. This layer is essential as it is the natural barrier protecting you from pollutants and disease-causing organisms.[/expand]
Here’s the picture of my skin as of today with a minimum makeup usage.
The use of Glycerin definitely cleaned up the most of fuzziness. Also it made my skin feel so smooth. I usually use it right before when I go to bed. Well, it’s works TOO good which sometimes makes me wonder what if Glycerin is harmful to the skin but all the researches showing me it’s good to put on the face. and so far, nothing bad happened to me. I’ll definitely continue using it and will let you guys know if ‘something’ happen – although I hope not![line]
Do’s and Dont’s of Glycerin on Face
- When you use glycerin on your face, you should always use it with water to dilute it. Although filtered water is usually the best option, rose water (as mentioned above) is also an excellent choice.
- NEVER OVERDO IT. When using glycerin, it is important not to overdo it. That is because the longer you leave it on your face, the more hydrated the skin will become. This means that if you leave it on for too long, it will start to look like you’ve spent several hours in the water.
- When you first apply glycerin, your skin my feel as if there is excess moisture there. However, this will evaporate and afterwards, your skin will feel perfectly hydrated – not too much and not too little.
- Glycerin will feel a bit sticky on your skin so you should avoid using it with lotions that are already sticky. Because of the stickiness associated with glycerin, you should always be careful to wash away any excess before you go outside as the stickiness makes it much easier for dust and pollution to collect.